Thursday, November 13, 2008

"The Valley of Vision"

This book was introduced to me while at our church in D.C.  It really has aided me in my prayer life.  It's a collection of Puritan prayers and devotions.  Here is one of the prayers:


Need of Grace

O Lord,
Thou knowest my great unfitness for service,
my present deadness, 
my inability to do anything for thy glory, 
my distressing coldness of heart.
I am weak, ignorant, unprofitable, 
and loathe and abhor myself. 
I am at a loss to know what thou wouldest have me do, 
for I feel amazingly deserted by thee, 
and sense they presence so little; 
Thou makes me possess the sins of my youth, 
and the dreadful sin of my nature, 
so that I feel all sin, 
I cannot think or act but every motion is sin.
Return again with showers of converting grace
to a poor gospel-abusing sinner. 
Help my soul to breathe after holiness, 
after a constant devotedness to thee, 
after growth in grace more abundantly every day. 
O Lord, I am lost in the pursuit of this blessedness, 
And am ready to sink because I fall short of my desire; 
Help me to hold out a little longer, 
until the happy hour of deliverance comes, 
for I cannot lift my soul to thee
if thou of they goodness bring me not night. 
Help me to hold out a little longer, 
until the happy hour of deliverance comes, 
for I cannot lift my soul to thee
if thou of they goodness bring me not nigh. 
Help me to be diffident, watchful, tender, 
lest I offend my blessed friend
in though and behaviour; 
I confide in thee and lean upon thee, 
and need thee at all times to assist and lead me. 
O that all my distresses and apprehensions
might prove but Christ's school 
to make me fit for greater service
by teaching me the great lesson of humility. 

1 comments:

Stephanie Kay said...

I've heard good thing about this book.